How to Install SMAPI on Windows
Part 1: install SMAPI
- Run the game without SMAPI at least once (so it can do first-time setup).
- Download the latest version of SMAPI.
- Extract the .zip file somewhere (but not in your game folder! (nor the windows %TEMP% folder)).
- Double-click install on Windows.bat¹, and follow the on-screen instructions.
The installer will detect your game and add SMAPI for you.
- If you use Steam, continue to the next section. Otherwise just run StardewModdingAPI.exe in your game folder to play with mods.
Part 2: configure Steam
You can use SMAPI through the Steam client to enable the overlay and achievements. This requires a few more steps.
1. Keep SMAPI’s installer window open.
(If you already closed it, just run it again. No need to uninstall first.)
2. Copy the text in the installer window that looks like this:
(Make sure you copy the entire line, including both quotes and the %command% part.)
3. In the Steam client, right-click on Stardew Valley and choose Properties:
4. Click General > Set Launch Options:
5. Replace anything in the textbox with the text you copied from the installer.
To paste text, click in the box and press CTRL and V.
6. Click OK to save your changes.
7. From now on, just launch the game through Steam to run SMAPI with the Steam overlay and achievements.
¹ To install manually instead, see instructions in the installer’s readme.
Option B: use ModDrop
ModDrop is a mod manager which supports SMAPI. It can install SMAPI, keep it updated, and simplify installing mods.
- Install ModDrop and open the client.
- In the top-right corner, click Install SMAPI or Update Available.
- A window should appear that says something like “A new version of SMAPI is available.” Click the Install button and follow the on-screen instructions.
Option A: use SMAPI’s installer
Just install the new version; the installer will automatically clean up previous versions. (You don’t need to configure Steam again.)
Option B: use ModDrop
If you use the ModDrop mod manager, click Update Available in the top-right if it appears and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Run install.exe and choose uninstall.
- Blank the Steam launch options (if you changed them).
(If you want to play without mods temporarily, you can just launch Stardew Valley.exe directly instead.)